It’s the countdown for back to school and as fun as summer has been… I’m finding myself in need of a break. In my novel, The Do-Over, Mara Jane Mulligan takes a 30 day vacation from her life, and what mom doesn’t deserve one of those?!
Here’s my top ten reasons why moms need a vacation from summer vacation!
- 1. After a road trip, you do laundry for the exact number of days you were “relaxing.”
- 2. You’ve had way too much mini-van time with extra children, damp towels, and if you made a truly questionable decision… a wet dog.
- 3. Because unlike the school year, eating and messing things up can and does occur between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- 4. If you have young children, your lazy summer day begins around 6 a.m. If you have teenagers, their lazy summer day begins at noon. If you have both… someone is always asleep at your house, and it isn’t you.
- 5. No matter how many towels you have, they’re dirty. No matter how many bottles of sunscreen you own, they’re missing. And no matter how many children are near, the mosquitoes only bite you.
- 6. While school supplies can be costly, summer fun starts with an inexpensive pool pass but ends up with a doctor’s bill and antibiotics for an ear infection.
- 7. The refrigerator is always empty, but somehow the dishes are still covered with half-eaten food.
- 8. The bathtub sports a permanent black scum from flip-flop feet.
- 9. The hotdogs and s’mores are beginning to affect your cholesterol levels.
- 10. As much as you love summer and love your children… you deserve a chance to relax a little before you have to shop for enough supplies to start your own school!
This is for all the moms out there who made summer fun and now seriously deserve a nap!
A To-Do List Because I Can’t Help Myself
Then in the manner of the best laid plans of mice and women… my cold, that has taken on a life of its own, dropped me against my will on the couch.